Merc Zboard keyboards are not working after Windows 10 update KB4038788 (&ever since KB4034674)

After the recent Windows 10 Cumulative update KB4038788 my Merc Zboard Keyboard drivers have stopped working. Specifically the Alpham164.sys is not being activate/trusted in Device Manager. Uninstalling the KB4038788 and prior KB4034674 updates allowed it to start working again. I can only push windows updates so long.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the driver software for the keyboard did not work. SteelSeries.com no longer supports the Merc Stealth, so there is no Windows 10 specific driver but it has worked fine until this patch.

How can I get Windows 10 device manager to trust/allow Alpham164.sys?

Answer
Answer
Solution(with clarification): All the credit to ZathJD

You will need 20-40 minutes to complete this process. Plus, additional time to update your Windows 10 installation.
  • 1. Install Windows Driver Kit (Ignore a number of warnings during the install. Click "OK" through them... you're not developing a driver)
  • 2. **NOTE.. Requires reboot. Disable Signed Driver Enforcement (step-by-step instructions) Skip steps 1-3.5 by holding down "Shift"+[Click]Restart while continuing to hold "Shift"
  • 3.Locate your ZEngine Directory: e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Ideazon\ZEngine
        a. Copy & Paste "Kernel2k" directory/folder to a different folder, e.g. Documents, to preserve the original untampered version.
  • 4. In the Kernel2K dir/folder, e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Ideazon\ZEngine\Kernel2K, rename every file that starts with Alpham or alpham to something else. (ex. Alpham1.sys => Merc1.sys). I changed mine to Alpham1KB.sys
  • 5. Open the renamed *.inf file in a text editor (Notepad++ C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe) and do a similar find and replace (Ctrl+H) on "Alpham" replacing with "Merc" (or whatever you used), replace all. NOTE**You may need to take control of the *.inf file. Click for Instructions
  • 6. Locate and Delete *.cat file(the security catalog file) e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Ideazon\ZEngine\Kernel2K\Merc12.cat
  • 7. Add "inf2cat.exe" installation directory to the Environment Variables - PATH:
       a. In the search/Cortana box, type "Path",  then select "Edit environment variables for your account" or press "Enter"
       b. In the "Environment Variables" window, in the top box > "Variable" column > select the row "Path"  
       c. Click edit.
       d. Click "New" in the "Edit environment variable" window.
       e. Click "Browse" and add  the directory of your inf2cat.exe file & press "Enter". Mine was in C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\x86.
       f. Select "OK" on all open windows.
  • 8. Generate a new .cat file:
      a. Know the PATH to the new *.inf file. e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Ideazon\ZEngine\Kernel2K 
      b. In the search/Cortana box, type "Command",  then select "Command Prompt" or press "Enter"
        1. for Windows 10 x64 type: inf2cat /driver:"PATH" /os:10_X64
        2. for Windows 10 x86(32bit) type: inf2cat /driver:"PATH" /os:10_X86
    **NOTE The "quotation marks" ARE included. And, PATH = the directory/folder where the *.inf file is located. (8.a.)
    e.g. inf2cat /driver:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Ideazon\ZEngine\Kernel2k" /os:10_X64
  • 9. Locate the entries "Ideazon Merc MM USB Human Interface Device" and "Ideazon Merc USB Human Interface Device"
      a. In Device Manager ([Right click] Windows Button>[Select] Device Manager)
      b. Locate & Select "Human Interface Devices" (or they may be under "Keyboards")
      c. Right click > update driver > browse computer > Let me pick > Have Disk > Browse > manually select your newly renamed *.inf file.
      d. Acknowledge any unsigned driver warnings(Click OK).
    **NOTE..You must do this for BOTH entries.
  • 10. At this point my ZEngine icon, in the task bar, was green again. However, I was prompted to restart my PC; which, I did.
  • 11. Unhide the horrible KB4034674 now KB4038788 and resume Windows 10 updates.
Enjoy a working zMerc again!

All the credit to ZathJD

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 5, 2024 Views 11,489 Applies to: